The Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to announce the return of their annual "On Corps" competition for aspiring arrangers and composers! We invite individuals with an interest in arranging and composing music to submit their works to be considered for performance by the 2018 Blue Stars. The winning arrangement/composition will be performed as part of the corps` encore repertoire for the season.
All participants will receive feedback on their submission from members of the Blue Stars design and instructional team. Brighton Barrineau and Trevor Schachner, the winners of the 2017 "On Corps" contest, state:
"The 'On Corps' contest has opened so many doors for us as young arrangers! Through the contest we have experienced so much growth in our own writing from the feedback from the World Class staff at the Blue Stars, and hearing our arrangement played by one of the best hornlines DCI has to offer is a plus too. We recommend this contest to anyone and everyone at any level of arranging for the amazing learning experience that comes with it. We could not be more grateful for the opportunity the Blue Stars gave us and we wish all the contestants the best of luck!"
Works submitted should meet the following criteria:3 trumpets
1 tuba (sparing use of divisi writing is permissible)
Percussion (Front Ensemble and/or Battery. Note that, as with the wind parts, our staff will adjust and augment percussion parts as needed)
1. May not be shorter than 1 minute 30 seconds or longer than two minutes in length
2. Must be arranged with the following part distribution:
3. Music must be able to be performed publicly under current copyright laws. The Blue Stars will pay copyright fees for the winning work if needed.
4. The work must be an original arrangement or composition, unpublished in any other venue.
5. Please note that we already have several lyrical, slower encores as part of our regular rotation, so we strongly suggest that more up-tempo, energetic encores be your focus.
6. Pay the Submission Fee
$75 fee must accompany each submission. Individuals may submit as many entries as they so choose, but each submitted work requires the $75 fee. A PDF score and digital recording (both computer-synthesized and live ensemble recordings are acceptable) must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 AM on Monday, May 1st, 2018. The score must include the author's full name, e-mail address, and telephone number. The winner will be announced by Monday, May 8th, and the winning work will be performed as an encore by the Blue Stars Drum and bugle Corps during their 2018 tour. All submissions will receive feedback on their submissions no later than May 18th, 2018.